How you prepare for your appointment is up to you, but if you do a bit of work beforehand it can greatly enhance the effectiveness of your mentoring session. Review this list of typical questions and be prepared to discuss the answers. If one strikes you as extremely important, be sure to bring it up. If you don’t know the answer, ask for a bit of help. That’s what we’re here for.
- What kind of guidance or assistance are you looking for from SCORE?
- In 50 words or less, what is your business idea?
- What products or services are you (will you be) providing?
- What planning or market research activities have you already done?
- How did you (or will you) determine the market need for your product or service?
- Specifically, who are the customers for your product or service?
- Who are your competitors — and how are you different?
- From your customer’s perspective, what benefits do you provide?
- What education/business experience do you have for this type of business?
- Does your family and personal situation support your effort?
- Have you considered costs required to start or grow your business and potential sources of money?
- How much do you propose to earn from your business?
- What is your exit strategy?
If you have any written cash flow projections or preliminary business plan material, please bring these with you. Your mentor can review them with you during your session.